I should have put this in my top technical support issues blog as this is about as common of an issue as it gets. I can't tell you how many times I've heard ^$%#@$! Great Plains. I can't void out a payment because it's applied to an invoice that still has amount outstanding. I also can't void out the invoice as it has a payment applied to it.
This is one of the most rinky dink processes but this is the resolution for both receivables or payables:
- You have a payables or recievables invoice that has a payment or credit memo applied to it. The credit document is fully applied so is in history
- You cannot void the credit document or invoice
- You must create a dummy credit document for the amount outstanding on the invoice
- Post the credit document
- Apply the credit document under the apply window
- You can then void out the payment, dummy credit document and invoice if you desire
The same would be true if the invoice is fully applied and there is still an outstanding amount on the payment. Create a dummy invoice and apply it to the payment. Then you can void the payment and the dummy invoice.
As Mariano says, "Don't shoot the messanger".